On Saturday, Binghamton men's basketball faced off against Mount St. Mary at home.  Coming off of a loss at Penn, the team was happy to be back at the Events Center.  In their last two home games, Binghamton defeated St Peters and Marywood convincingly.  With only two wins all of last year, Binghamton was looking to eclipse that win total early on in the season.

Binghamton started off fast, edging out the Mountaineers by 6 in the first 5 minutes.  The rest of the first half was much of the same.  The Bearcats reached as much as a 14 point lead, before letting the Mountaineers climb within 4 at the end of the first.

Mount St Mary's carried their momentum into the second half.  Binghamton was able to hold the lead early on in the half, as Taylor Johnston hit three huge 3-pointers.  Johnston was pretty much held to this scoring burst, finishing with only 12 points.

The rest of the half was tightly contested.  And if you've followed Binghamton basketball for the past few years, close games seem to go the other way more often than not.  But whereas past teams may have lie down and let the game get out of hand, this year’s team fought valiantly.

Mount St Marys took their first lead with about six minutes left.  Mountaineers point guard Josh Castellanos added much of his teams scoring late, with 9 points in the last three minutes.  He had a team high 14.  The 3 pointer he hit with a minute left put the Mountaineers up by 6.  It looked like a dagger, but Binghamton wouldn't quit.

Binghamton star guard Jordan Reed hit two late layups, keeping hope alive.  Reed finished with a game high 17, right at his average for the year.  With the help of some missed free throws, Binghamton was able to get it to a one point deficit.  With another two missed free throws, Binghamton was left with one chance.  Point guard Jimmy Gray got the ball to Reed, with about 8 seconds left.  Reed hesitated, and then went to the hoop hard trying to draw a foul.  Mountaineers forward Krajina was credited with a block, and they escaped with a win.

Binghamton fans were incensed, looking for a foul call.  First year coach Tommy Dempsey made sure the refs heard what he had to say about the no call.

Turnovers plagued the Bearcats in this one.  The Mountaineers ran a full court press the entire game, leading to 21 Bearcat turnovers.  The game certainly could have gone either way, and there is no question of Binghamton's effort.

The Bearcats (2-6) will look to bounce back on Monday night at home against Monmouth.