The opening of a restaurant on Binghamton's South Side was delayed following a fire in an apartment above the business.

The blaze in the building that houses South City Publick House at 1200 Vestal Avenue was reported around 10:30 p.m. Sunday.

The building and business are owned by Binghamton Mayor Richard David, along with John and Suzanne Clark.

Two of the eight apartment were damaged as a result of a fire on June 16, 2019. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

John Clark said David advised him of the blaze, which happened on the top floor of the three-story structure.

Clark said he believed the fire was linked to an electrical issue. He said two of the building's eight apartments sustained damage. He said the Red Cross had been called to assist two residents who had been displaced.

Clark said the restaurant would open Monday afternoon, a few hours after its normal opening time.

A sign posted in an entrance to South City Publick House advised customers of a delayed opening. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: bob@wnbf.com

For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.