Burned-Out Endwell House Demolished Ten Months Later
Residents of an Endwell neighborhood are celebrating the removal of a house that sustained heavy damage in a blaze nearly a year ago.
The fast-moving fire at 3304 Wayne Street occurred August 26. At the time, the homeowner told WICZ FOX 40 a torch he had been using fell on a couch and sparked the blaze.
A short time later, New York State Police arrested the resident. He was charged with unlawful manufacture of methamphetamine.
People who live on the normally-quiet street had expressed frustration that the fire-damaged structure was allowed to sit for months with no sign of activity.
Debris littered the yard surrounding the house and fading orange tape on the property warned of "HAZARDOUS MATERIALS."
A long wait came to an end Friday morning as crews from All Around Excavating began tearing down the house.
Neighbors, some taking pictures, watched the demolition and expressed satisfaction that the nuisance building finally was being demolished.
All Around Excavating is to be paid $14,500 for the work.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: firstname.lastname@example.org
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.