New York Governor Andrew Cuomo says his directive banning non-essential activities will be extended for more than two additional weeks.

Cuomo has announced the state's coronavirus shutdown now will continue to be in effect until May 15. The order had been scheduled to run through April 29.

The governor said workers deemed to be non-essential must remain home and social distancing rules should continue to be followed.

At his Thursday morning briefing, Cuomo said 606 people had died in New York state over the past day due to COVID-19. That raised the official number of coronavirus deaths in the state to 12,192.

The governor's rules requiring people to wear a mask or face covering are to take effect at 8 p.m. Friday.

The mask requirement applies to those in public who are unable to stay at least six feet apart from other people. It also affects people on public transportation.

CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE: Click here For All The Latest Coronavirus News

Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: bob@wnbf.com

For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.