WHAT!!!! These Cereals Are Considered Unhealthy Now
So last week I was talking with a friend about the seven cereals that are no longer considered healthy by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The sad part for me is that my favorite all-time cereal (Life) was on that list.
It's my favorite because that was the cereal that I would eat with my Grandma Pitcher when I stayed overnight at her house. It turns out that the cereal may not be good for me but it'll always bring me really good memories. In fact, I think of her whenever I have a bowl of Life cereal.
The reason they are no longer considered healthy is because the FDA is redefining what foods are labeled as healthy. According to their new criteria, some of our favorite cereals will no longer qualify as healthy for us.
Cereals That Are No Longer Considered Healthy By The FDA
The other cereals on the FDA hit list (my words not theirs) include: Frosted Mini Wheats (my second favorite), Raisin Bran (third favorite, I'm sensing a trend), Honey Nut Cheerios, Corn Flakes, Honey Bunches of Oats, and Special K.
So now that we know what the seven new "unhealthy" cereals are, it got me wondering what the healthiest cereals are? One of my guesses is "Shredded Wheat" because it's the one cereal that I don't like.
Let's see if I'm right. My friend said her mom made her eat Shredded Wheat with an egg on top. I say "skip the wheat and jut eat the egg."
Healthiest Cereals To Enjoy According To Dietitians
Before we run down the list, I want to mention that the word "enjoy" is open to interpretation but here are the healthiest cereals to have for breakfast.
5) Kellogg’s All-Bran Buds Breakfast Cereal - It has high fiber so it's good for the body. When you add "Buds" to the title, then Jeff Spicoli from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" might eat it but not even Mikey (Life cereal fame) is interested.
4) Grain-Free Os - Instead of wheat flour, it's made with a combination of cassava root and navy beans. You can tell us that it comes in strawberry, chocolate and cinnamon but Grain-Free Os sound like Taste-Free Os to me.
3) Three Wishes cereal - It's gluten-free and protein-paced and I'm good with that. However when you say that it has a decadent cocoa flavor, then I WISH I had a bowl of cocoa puffs instead. The cereal boxes look similar, you'll have to judge the tastes for yourself.
2) Smart Bran - 17 grams of fiber in every bowl will help you feel full. It has high fiber so it'll keep you on the run while delivering muscle-building protein. It may have "smart" in the title but I'm not feeling it.
1) Cheerios Whole-Grain Cereal - Wait a minute, here's a cereal that I've actually heard of...and eaten. This gluten-free cereal has been around for over 50 years and you can find it at almost everyone's house.
I can honestly say that I love this cereal and have eaten it many, many times over the years including last month. I can also honestly say that I put a fair amount of sugar on it, so there goes the healthy part.
You can see the rest of the list here but I'm SHOCKED that Shredded Wheat didn't make the list. Maybe because it's people like my friend Traci ate it with an egg on top.