New York Reports First Vaping-Related Death
New York State is reporting its first death associated with vaping.
The Department of Health reports a 17 year old from the Bronx died October 4 after being hospitalized in early September for a vaping-related respiratory illness. The boy was re-admitted in late September.
According to a release from Governor Andrew Cuomo’s office, the D.O.H, as of October 8, had received 110 reports of severe pulmonary illness among patients age 14 to 69 who had been using at least one vape product.
The Governor is calling for federal action as New York has already taken steps to ban some e-cigarette products.
The Democrat said: “The President had talked about taking action. I don't know how many people have to die before he takes action.”
There have been 20 deaths associated with vaping reported nationwide, most of them among young people who have suffered chemical burn-like injuries to their lungs.